Thursday, March 10, 2011

Some Winter River Scenes Under Sunny Skies of the Vermilon River. A Post to Sky Watch.

The River to the NW, and unlimited hiking.
The West River Bank with rock outcropping.

The little Islands to the NW

The west river bank.

The south end of the Island

Again the South end of the Island.

The west bank .

The SW bank showing cedars which grow along the river bank.

The West River bank now with a cloudy sky.
This is the upper river which performs a dog leg curve starting in the NW and curving to the SE. The river here runs around rocky islands forming little lakes,and some fairly broad wetlands. Here you may see some people as there is a road ,which runs to the ski hill. The favourite form of exercise is driving to the ski hill for coffee. Crazy eh?

For our hike Boom and I use this upper area, cross the bridge and turn left. Any vehicles turn right and that's the end of the few people we'll see.Normally, we'd use a RR maintenance road and come in from the south because it runs right through the forest and exits at the bridge. That way we would see no one. We could go to the upper river and hike to the west along the river on an unlimited distance hike. In fact all the way to the Canadian west, but unfortunately Boom and I are a little too old for that now. Once there was a time.....

Later I'll be taking you to wetlands and lakes to the north and east where there is no one but Boom & I and the wildlife.

To those people from Germany who jumped onto the site this AM. Welkomme!! This area is a wilderness forest as opposed to the provincial parks such as Algonquin park that you probably know about. Unlike your own forests you do not need permission to hike it , but you do need to be careful as the wildlife is extensive, and in some cases big.There are no facilities in this immediate area to outfit you, but further east and west it's possible to get equipment and you're going to need canoes or kayaks because of the many lakes and rivers in any directions. If you have questions use the comments section, and I'll try and answer them, but in English please as I have lost all my German. If you should see me I'm the guy with the big dog and the camera say hello.


A Post to Sky Watch Friday @ http://skyley.blogspot.com/

53 comments:

  1. Very pretty, but cold! :) If I ran into you and your big dog, I'd have to first give that gorgeous Boomer a big hug but I'd (eventually) say hello to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's no good Boomer gets a hug and I get a hello. Come on Texwisgirl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boomer is a gorgeous dog. Your header picture never fails to take my breath, no matter how many times I see it. Bet he's a chick magnet!

    The scenery is gorgeous there. So bold and uncompromising. I'm very interested to see how the seasons progress along these trails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This trail is by far and away the easiest as the RR track is such smooth going. I answered Boomer's chick magnet status on your own site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great place to hike. Which Vermilion River is it, off Lac Suel or Sudbury Disrtict? I am looking forward to seeing the changes in the seasons as well. Give Boomer a hug! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful hiking country, Gary. I look forward to going on some virtual hikes with you. It will be June or later befor we get into our Sierra wilderness. Our winter hiking days are behind us and we wait until the trails are free of snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rock croppings have a unique texture.
    I enlarged the fifth image which made it all the more beautiful. I could imagine the cold crisp air as you hiked.
    As always thanks for taking us along.

    Carletta's Captures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos, Gary, especially of the south end of the island.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots .... love the landscape! (But not the snow. I had enough!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you may still have snow on the ground, but at least you seem to have blue skies above. not a bad deal. enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The landscape looks inviting, some good robust hiking possibilities here. Marvelous images!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great place for a hike~I will wait till the snow melts :) Hi to you and Boomer

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the ruggedness of this area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gary -- it is rugged and beautiful where you are -- and cold. I'm guessing that Bommer likes this season better than summer for hiking.

    I'm not from Germany (just from Florida ;>)but as a fairly new follower of your beautiful blog I appreciated the information about your area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love your header photo. Your appetite for winter hiking is way beyond mine, but I sure like the photos you share!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great set of photos. Well captured. Bravo!
    (we are waiting for spring and summer here now, after a long and cold winter)
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boy Lorac that Boom does so well on hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too bad it has to be virtual, Martha, cause you're very active people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You got it Bob and we're getting more today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks LauraX, and come again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Irene we're getting more today!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. But not today Ewok. It's gray and snowy and windy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Doug and the hiking is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Dawn. Boom & I don't have much choice we go wheather it snows or not.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Amila, and thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not very urbanized is it Lesley?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Boomer doesn't hike in the summer at all. It's just too hot for him.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Lisa and welcome to the site.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Sara Chapman for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Fotokarusellen, and welcome to the site.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! Gary that Boomer is very popular...but I also have to admit he looks so huggable!!!!!My daughter and son-in-law had a retired sled dog with the one blue eye and the other brown....he was 13 when they adopted him and he survived till he was almost 16....after 13 years of pulling sleds it was amazing they were able to extend his life that long....the power of Love I guess!!!!Great trail pics, I guess I need to learn how to post more than one image at a time....Algonquin Park received a major snowfall last Sunday and on Monday it was such a treat to drive through there....so many great shots to share....so I guess I better " Get Er Done" as they say...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think the key is they're happy when they're working, but 16 is a good age, YCNTTMP. You must be getting more snow as we are, but it's keeping us inside as the winds are high.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for your greeting :-)
    Great images from a fascinating scenery and interesting reading. Here in Denmark the winter is fortunately gone.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can't decide if you're lucky it's gone or not Rimkogeren. Thanks for the visit and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great pics. How long do your hikes last these days?

    ReplyDelete
  36. About 4-5 hours maybe a bit more in total,ladyfi.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great place and the river looks like a beeautiful place to hike. Boomer must love it there. Happy skywatching!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful scenery, so quiet and at the same time intriguing.
    have a nice weekend:)
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would not mind investigating this part of the world. But I am not good at carrying a lot of gear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. beautiful collection of photos that capture the spirt of the great outdoors, thanks for sharing with swf

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi NF. All I carry is my camera gear.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for the visit and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love viewing your photos, Gary, but I've spent too much time in warmer climes to be willing to change places. You probably wouldn't care for our coming heat and humidity either. We'd both better just stay put.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think you're right Marvin and I'm probably too old to change.

    ReplyDelete