Monday, May 2, 2011

A Hike to the Wetlands of the East Track Of The Vermilon River. A Post to My World Tuesday.


South Wetland showing Tundra


South Wetland














We're right at the east track, but we're not going to hike it; instead we'll stick to the wetlands, the north and the south one, although they're really the same body of water except the track bisects them and makes to all intents and purposes two separate wetlands. We're not going to get too far without our crow of course. These pair of Robins were hanging around on the fringe of the wetlands.

Our Crow


Robin


Robin


 Sparrow


Savannah Sparrow


Savannah Sparrow



Savannah sparrows are not as common here probably because it is not farm country with its open areas, so I count myself lucky to get these photos.

Song Sparrow


White-throated Sparrow


White-throated sparrow are in fact more common that the Savannah's. This little guy is showing off his distinctive yellow head marking and white throat really well. The stunted brush along side the wetlands makes great shelter for the song sparrows as well.


Song Sparrow


Black-capped Chickadee






We've moved up the trail and picked up a couple of chickadees, and a common grackle whose colour scheme is pretty impressive.

Common Grackle


Black-capped Chickadee


Female Wood Duck?


Female Wood Duck?




This duck flew overhead and I thought at first it was a merganser of some sort, but if you look closely it has prominent white markings around its eyes, which make me think it's a female Wood Duck.
Pussy Willows


Seeds??

I really liked the pussy willows which are now showing in large numbers and then I saw the tufts of something or other on a tree and thought they looked equally interesting.

32 comments:

  1. I love coming here your photos are beautiful B

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, i'm like your ever-present crow. always along for the hike...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'd sure miss you if you didn't show up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...loved your photos of the Savannah Sparrow. They are such pretty little sparrows...one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's one that we don't have a lot of. So I was happy to see them Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are the greatest, especially the Savannah Sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful assortment, Gary, our spring is finally here eh, it sure feels good...enjoyed the hike 'with you'!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific captures of the birds in particular, Gary! I do so enjoy seeing pictures of your world and your winged friends! Have a wonderful week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wetlands are always a great place for nature walks, you got some good shots.
    I agree, female wood duck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful captures you got! I love nature and I feel close to it seeing your photos!


    I have Finally Spring in my World entry at my blog. Hope you can visit me as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The wetlands sure are beautiful in spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is where i learn to identify birds. these posts are like references for aspiring birders.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is quite a walk. Very good variety of photographs. I've never heard of a savanna sparrow before so I've learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great - quite the variety of birds there! We have a tiny wetland on our property, enough that a few reeds grow, and bullfrogs can be heard in the summer. But I've never actually seen a bullfrog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. At last - pussy willows and spring!

    Lovely pics - those birds are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. seems like a great haik Gary. I love the variety of birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your world looks awesome. Lovely birds you met on your hike. Guess you and Boomer had a great day. Thanks for your comment. Please give your "fur" friend a hug from me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Gary

    It was great to see so many sparrows.
    And we always looked for pussy willows in the spring when I was a child. Very nice post.

    Thanks Guy

    ReplyDelete
  19. It does Bonifer, but we keep stepping back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yup a wood duck I think Martha!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Be careful ewok. I'm an amateur in all aspects from wildlife to photography.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As I said they're more common in farm country with open areas.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wetlands are great for hiking Al.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aw Marie that Boomer he gets all the girls!!

    ReplyDelete