Monday, November 14, 2011

(Black) Birds of a Feather Flock Together At the Vermilon River. A Post To WBW.

 I had read on a web site that one should always watch flocks of blackbirds, and avoid making the assumption that they were like birds. It was I think good advice, and started a collection of blackbirds, which is incomplete as of yet to members and gender.

I did not include crows as the difference is too obvious, but it starts with Common Grackle. The description of the grackle,borrowed from Cornell and Wiki is as follows: long dark bill slightly curved, yellow eyes and black glossy feathers with a  purple cast. The female is brown with no purple, but the same heavy beak, and brown eyes. These photos are then of a male Common Grackle, and everything is fine so far. Except my blackbird collection is spotty except for the red-winged black birds below as I lack females, mature males, and immatures in all other cases. I though it was fairly complete. But when I searched it no such luck.


The Red-winged Blackbirds are more complete as I have both male and female. The female is not as flamboyant as the male, and more illusive.

I really got lucky with this pair as I walked a narrow trail on a small wetland as a short cut, that was their nesting site. After the usual complaints at my effrontery, they decided to pose for the camera..


The male was the main attacker when I breached their not so well hidden area, but even he accepted my intrusion, and decided to pose.



These are all non-breeding Starlings. As to adults in breeding plumage I don't have any.

We don't get the large flocks of Starlings that Southern Ontario gets. I think,because we are less urbanized and less agriculturally oriented.



This is a series that I shot on the west side of the Vermilon River of a non-breeding Rusty Blackbird who has just caught a dragonfly. I was pretty lucky here because she was deep in the under brush a moment before her capture.

In the second photo, the fly is almost gone. The final shot is a rear view showing how handsome these fellows are. The Rusty is of prime concern as its numbers have declined by some sixty percent.


Now the problem  of identification begins. I think this is likely a female Brewers Blackbird because the female Grackle although brown, has the same heavy slightly curved beak as the male. The Brown eye is also common to both female and immature grackle as well as the Brewers. And yes they were all together except for the Red-wings. But I've seen a Red-winged Black bird with a mixed flock also. A Post To WBW @ http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/

24 comments:

  1. would love to see a rusty blackbird. so cool. we don't see many starlings here at the ranch. i think they stick closer to the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great series of photos! Blackbirds, starlings, and grackles usually don't get much attention and can be a nuisance, but your shots are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ~ Absolutely awesome photos ~~thanks, namaste, Carol (A Creative Harbor) Happy OWT ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Rusty Blackbird is a spectacular bird I have not seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots!
    I've never seen a Rusty Blackbird before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting collection of black birds. The Grackle is certainly eyeing you off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A collection of black, brilliant photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful all of them Gary but your Grackle has one hell of a stare... beautiful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your groupings and descriptions and photos of your birds are so informative and interesting. It is all the small differences that matter so much. Thanks Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great shots... and fantastic information!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with everyone else, the Rusty blackbird is a wonderful bird and one that I have never seen before, even in pictures. The capture with dragonfly takes the cake. Brilliant stuff Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome photo's gary....i love anything with feathers that is willing to sit still for a picture. my bird bath has been filled (literally) with crackles. standing room only!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! Love the first shots of the blackbird.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice collection but the Grackle steals my heart. I love the sheen to his blackness. very nice all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there - another fine collection. The grackle is great!

    SM

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just getting acquainted with birds in your part of the world. Your photos are fantastic! What an amazing collection!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gary, I love your photos of the Common Grackle - the eyes always astonish me - and the Rusty Blackbird - great capture! I have been trying to get one, but they are so hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great collection of Blackbirds Gary! I would love to see a Rusty Blackbird some day, before they're all gone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post Gary. I remember Red Winged Blackbirds and Grackles well from my visits to the states. Nice to see that you have the same Starlings as us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful shots. Those Grackles are so glossy and glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great series! I love the Red-winged blackbird & the Starlings.
    I would love to have opportunities like this to see so many different birds in the wild.
    And I LOVE your blog header - every time I see it! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete