Sunday, March 4, 2012

Around the Ridges of The Vermilon River. A Post to MWT and WBW.

The storm, which hit Indiana, proceeded across Lake Huron, and dumped somewhere between 16 and 25 cm of snow on us. That's between 8 and 12 inches approximately. Nevertheless, we got out despite the warning, and much before the snow, but in a different direction this time. In fact, we went to the east track area, but not using the usual trail as it's too snow clogged and steep to handle at this time of year. Remember, click the images to enlarge, and watch the slide show.

I've included a map because we're to the NW and at the front of the ridges that we're usually behind. We're on a mining road that ultimately ends up on an aboriginal reservation that has a terrific restaurant, and makes a great omelet. To help find your way on the map, the first photo is Mud Lake, showing the ridges in the background. The weather is foggy with a light wet snow drizzle. The Lake is in the foreground covered in snow.

The next Lake is Rockcut Lake, also covered in snow. But you have to be careful on these lakes, as the ice is dangerous.

The map is courtesy of MNR Canada and is a topo map. The lakes that I showed you are beside the North arrow. But the map also shows you the area Boomer and I play in. Look at all the uninhabited lakes that are behind Mud Lake, directly to the east, and the wetlands. The map is showing the ridges behind Rockcut and Mud Lake as 340 metres above sea level. That's about 1020 feet, so those ridges are high. The rail line showing to the east is used for a short distance for shunting trains, but is really abandoned, and is the trail we use to hike east, picking up other trails to take us up the ridge into Long Lake, or continuing further onto  Moose Lake. And this is only the east area. You can see the River on the other side of the town, so that's our area also.

The key when you face ridges like these is knowing where the trails are, and watching your step. I forgot to mention that the storm, after the snow passed, dragged the  temperature with wind chill down to about -29 C. Although when these photos were taken it was above zero.

This is the top of the ridge to the west, or other side of the mining road, about 380 metres or 1440 plus feet above sea level. I'll use captions now as this is a long post.


Open Water on the Lake.

Blue Jay

Female Pine Grosbeak.

Male Pine Grosbeak with Redpolls.

Pine Sisken

Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel

Female Pine Grosbeak

Female Hairy Woodpecker.

Female Hairy Woodpecker.

Male Pine Grosbeak.

Redpoll

Female Hairy Woodpecker.

Female Pine Grosbeak

Common Redpoll.

Blue Jay.

Male Redpoll Hiding behind a Branch.

Male and Female Redpoll.

A Post to MWT @ http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/ and WBW @ http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/  Of course saying good bye is our favourite Crow, Huegy.

50 comments:

  1. Another great series Gary.. it's hard to believe winter passed us by this year after seeing all your snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter again and more cold birds (but you've taught me not to worry about them any more). Wonderful series. The grosbeak looks like he's babysitting all his littler brothers (the redpolls).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful insight into your beautiful winter playground Garry ... your captures are always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful area! Your snow images are terrific. You always manage to find sights of beautiful critters to pull into your camera. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great series. The snow looks lovely but glad we had none of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be totally lost out there in all that snow! I would have to leave a breadcrumb trail behind me and with my luck the birds would eat it! Beautiful series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sometimes a good idea to mark your trail, but you're right the Redpolls would devour it in short order.

      Delete
  7. huegy and your squirrels are always a winner. so are those gorgeous grosbeaks. love the plum-colored pine ones...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful series of photos! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always look forward to your birds and squirrels and I'm never disappointed! So much snow!! Hope you have a great week, Gary!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photographs.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the storm sure brought some very, VERY cold weather your way. And I thought -18°C was cold!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful series. I'm never disappointed with I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks a lot colder than what I experienced in Yosemite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful winter shots. I guess you'll be ready for spring while I'm wishing I had more of a winter this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite because I'll lose all those Redpolls and Pine Grosbeaks who will up and move further north, but the summer birds will come in.

      Delete
  15. Seems like I haven't seen Huegy in a while. I know about those -30 temps around here, but not this year (yet). You never know when it will get cold again, however.
    Love the photos of the birds and squirrels, as you know.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, very interesting to see how wildlife adapts to low temperatures, this place can be exciting. Greetings and happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely series of shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely series of shots. (Not sure why my comment isn't appearing?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my delayed comment post to avoid the new blogger word code is confusing you.

      Delete
  19. Hi there - never ceases to amaze me how many bird shots you manage to get on your walks! The landscape looks great.

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a beautiful day to be out, your snowy shots are beautiful. And I always enjoy all your birds. Great variety of colorful birds too. Thanks for sharing, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A photo similar to your red squirrel was selected for National Geographic photo of the day.
    All your captures are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I went and saw the photo. It's a stunner.

      Delete
  22. Your photos of birds are impressing. I wish those beautiful shots came from my camera....
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful series of photos!
    Love the Blue Jay and Grosbeak and wish I could see them here.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not sure how I arrived at your site. I love that about the Blogging world. I follow a comment back to its owner and I'm off on a wonderful adventure.

    Your wildlife photos are fabulous.

    All the best,

    Sybil
    Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful colour on the grosbeak! I also like the shot of the crow. I'm always amazed at what/and how creatures endure in that kind of climate.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous part of Ontario, I've been through it on the Via train as we headed out west. Capreol is one of the stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was in the last 5 years, then you've seen Boom who I always took to the station to see the incoming people. He could always empty the train, and you have no idea how many pictures using other peoples' cameras that I took of him and them. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River. Note: This is a transcontential passenger train that will show a country literally from coast to coast the like of which you've never seen before and it's all pretty well wilderness.

      Delete
  27. A wonderful set of bird images Gary!
    That last shot of the open water on the lake is a beautiful snowscape!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great wildlife shots and those snowy landscapes are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great series! Birds and landscapes are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful serie Gary!
    I love the birds and the squirrels so much...
    Greetings from Holland,
    Anna :-))

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing photos again of the bird life in your neck of the woods, Gary. Still looks mighty cold there!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds like you are having some pretty extreme weather out there at the moment Gary. Great collection of bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Adam winter is cold here, although a nice dry cold. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

      Delete
  33. wonderful winter wildlife photos... we got hit in Wisconsin last Friday too... not at bad at you... I went snow shoeing and didn't recognize the paths... branches so snow covered one could not get through... the world looks different in snow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you know how to snowshoe, one of the best ways to silently travel a forest in the winter, except for a dog team Boom wants me to add.

      Delete
  34. ouch, you got a lot of snow. Ours is almost gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A wonderful post with so much content. I appreciate you including the map for orientation to all your wanderings. I so wish I could get to your neck of the woods one day, I've put it on my bucket list.
    Wonderful photography os your furred and feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
  36. SOME awesome birds in this post...HOPE you get a nice weekend with no snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can't get enough of those Pine Grosbeaks. They occasionally made it down to the mountains of New Mexico when we lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey Gary,
    What a beautiful post today. I am curious wich birds you show when the winter is gone.
    gr. Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  39. Another perfect post Gary. Hope you enjoyed this warm Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I could look at the 3 rd image down all day and never grow weary, what vibrant colours and the perky squirrel, oh my, my, my!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks everyboby for your visit and kind comments!! Boom & Gary

    ReplyDelete