Thursday, January 5, 2012

Weather and Redpolls at the Vermilon River. A Post to SWF.


This post is partially a follow up to my last post on Redpolls and also about weather. Mark Twain said" everybody talks about it, but nobody does anything about it"
I'm going to run true to form then and not do anything about it. I was startled when I talked about the temperatures up here ranging from minus 28C to 0 C. at the comments about cold. Cold is a relative thing. The coldest that I have ever been is standing on a beach in Clearwater, Florida at the end of February. I don't even remember the temperature, but I do remember the damp cold wind of the ocean going right through me. You see at minus 28 the humidity is very low; therefore you're not fighting dampness just a dry cold, and that's easy to do.

As well the snow that falls, if there is any, is not a wet snow, because it does not melt in the atmosphere, and refreeze it stays frozen. So you're not walking in slush,or wet snow which wets your boots and makes you cold.

 All this makes it easier to dress, because you don't need warmth plus waterproofing My boots are light weight with leather on the bottom area, although I do waterproof it, but the upper area is a light mesh material and the insulation is a thinsulate. I add an insole which is a foil on one side. My snow pants are also insulated and bibbed, and my short parka is made of down, which is light also. Under the parka I have two old sweat shirts so I can remove one if it's too hot.
 If it's warmer, then I wear different boots which are waterproof, but cumbersome and heavy. I wear a waterproof poncho over my coat which doesn't breath as well. I think you get the message. The cold only outfit is light, while the cold and wet one is heavy and cumbersome. Think of the wet gear a sailor wears on a fishing vessel in the Atlantic. Of course the head gear in the cold is a balaclava worn backwards until I need to protect my face.Backwards so the excess hat folds over my head. That way I don't lose heat through the top of my head. Usually when it's colder, the day is clear and the sun comes out and also warms you up.
The first series of shots are of the River in a warm period as you can tell from the fog overlaying the ridge. The fog turns to frost and sticks to the trees as shown in the pine shot and the shot opposite.

In the previous post I talked about the climate in which the Redpoll lives, which also amazed people that such a small finch can survive in my region, and that it's breeding grounds are even north of me in the Boreal forest and the Hudson's Bay area. I forgot to add they are voracious feeders. I'll end up feeding them and other birds about 24 kg of sunflower seeds a month until they migrate north. So food and metabolism are one of the answers.

But not the only answer. As you can see there is a goldfinch in the midst of these Redpolls. On Wednesday, one of the blogs showed Goldfinch near Dallas. I checked the temperature in Dallas and it was sunny and in the upper 60's F. I really don't think there's is much difference between the Goldfinch in Dallas and the Goldfinch here. I think nature equips these birds similarly but with the ability to adapt to their surroundings as long as food, shelter and water is available. 


The Goldfinch is all puffed up against the cold just as the Redpolls are. And are just as voracious in their feeding.

You can see the snow flying in this photo, but they're not leaving the food.

This one shows the puffed up feathers even better.

This is a female Redpoll. She lacks the red flash on her chest.

Another shot of the female.

They're flighty and I can't seem to catch a male. The one in the forefront of this group is a male.

As I said earlier they are quite aggressive feeders and don't even take a back seat to the Jays.

Look how puffed up the Jay is.

I like this shot of the crow because of the turn of his head.

And of course the Red Squirrel. A Post to SWF @ http://skyley.blogspot.com/  To see the Redpoll post go to the previous post.

23 comments:

  1. Yep, the colder the better, dry cold, like dry heat is more tolerable. Great winter scenes Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That squirrel posed very well for you and you have a nice selection of shots... I see you have as much snow as we do!!! But we have less birdies around at the moment. Happy new year Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful images Gary..

    It's been mild here so far this winter...but storm winds for the last two day's..and lives lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is pretty amazing that we both have our goldfinches right now - and in our 65 degree weather today, they are hitting the feeders like crazy. Can never get enough of your adorable red squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. some beautiful images there, i wish i lived somewhere as jaw dropping as that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots, love the cute Goldies and the Redpolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really cold there!Lovely collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful winter shots. It is amazing how the birds survive but as you say they are constantly eating and I've also noticed with the smaller birds in bad weather, they almost never seem to stop moving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the jay all puffed up and sitting in that wonderful light!
    Many wishes for a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful winter landscapes. the birds and squirrel are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gary

    A very informative post I do agree a damp cold is hard to deal with. It seems you have your winter gear figured out. I like the Redpolls and I actually enjoyed seeing the snow we have had very little so far and now it is pretty dirty.

    All the best to yopu and Boomer.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful winter shots and the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snow, beautiful snow. I, once again, am amazed at the wonderful shots you take of the wildlife--what a treat for you to capture them with your camera, and for your bloggers when you share them. Mickie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am always in awe of the photos you capture. Marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures, I love, Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic pics, and very interesting perspective on the cold! living in a place where winters are almost non existent and summers are hotter than anything else, this was an interesting read and the pics were great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful collection of nature photos, the white reflection on the pines is gorgeous. One thing I miss about snow is how quiet everything becomes when tucked under a blanket of white.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very interesting -- thank you for talking about your weather. It actually validated something I've said often -- that Winters feel colder in Oregon than the therm. says -- because it is so wet that it's bone-chilling. Birds are pretty darn well-equipped for any NATURAL events aren't they. (It's the things people and their pet cats do that aren't fair to them!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful images, in the cooold, brrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi - yes, you are correct - that is weather! Can I have some please!


    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks cold over there. Wonderful shots as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post Gary. Wise words regarding the perception of cold and it is amazing to see the range of conditions that some of these birds can survive in.

    ReplyDelete