Saturday, April 14, 2012

More Wetland Wildlife At the Vermilon River. A Post to MWT and WBW.

We're starting to get our bright, sunny days, and you'll be able to see the effect in the photos. EC is on, but it is still hard to avoid an over exposure, especially when you pass from light to shade, and the subject wouldn't hold still for an adjustment. Thank God for Photoshop. This is the big wetland. The opposite side is every bit as large. The trail around the wetland is excellent, and soon the cat tails will be high enough to shield me from the wildlife. CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE AND WATCH THE SLIDE SHOW.

Some of today's photos were taken here, and others were taken in the wetland below.

This is the River wetland that I spoke about the other day. I had originally intended to hike up the trail to that flat area in the back of the photo, between the evergreens. But I was certainly ill-prepared as the trail is overgrown and poorly marked. So I'll need my trail markers and a pair of pruning shears to trim back the brush. The brush is mainly pin or choke cherry trees, good to attract birds and bears, and I don't want to do much damage to it. I'll cut out a small area so that I'll be closer to the water area in the middle. All the Buffleheads were shot in this area.

The Mallards were shot in a small wetland near the big wetland shown above.

They're at the back and fairly protected.


She's a real beauty. All the birds now are resplendent in their breeding plumage, as the young arrive the plumage will fade. Just like the human situation I guess.

I caught these Mallards in flight in the big wetland.



All the blue Mallards were shot in the big wetland under the intense sun. I think its just the effect of the blue sky reflection.

But its an interesting effect.

This is a series of Bufflehead shots, so named because of the shape of their head. These shot were taken in the river wetland and you can readily see the brown in the reflected light.

I find the female every bit as handsome as the male.

I want to get to the back of the wetland so that I can be closer to the birds as these photos are either 60 or 100 percent blow ups. I should also be able to avoid some of the water glare. Still the reach of the 150-500mm is really performing here. If the birds catch sight of movement they're gone.

This is a flight of Wood Ducks that would not roost for some close ups in the big wetland.

I'm extremely fond of Robins.

He's also dressed in his bright plumage, not showing any of the wear and tear that will come with the kids and mortgage etc.

The Song Sparrows have certainly arrived as there was no end to their presence and bright music.




All these guys are song sparrows.

This is a tree sparrow recognizable by the chest patch and the yellow in his beak.

I caught this raven in flight.

All the wetlands were filled with Red-winged Blackbirds.




Hanging out with the Red-winged Blackbirds were the Grackles so the wetlands were alive in sound.


The sun is just lighting up the plumage of these Grackles.

I just seemed to stumble from one set of birds to another, This is a male Hairy Woodpecker.




I put this Ring-billed Gull series in because he's clearly getting ready to go out. You can really see the water fly.




I caught these Chipmunks on my way back. They were frolicking on the trail so spring must be here. Valerie from Australia asked me if the Chipmunk is related to the Squirrel, so I looked it up. The answer is yes; the Chipmunk is a ground Squirrel, so we're fortunate enough to have both ground and tree squirrels.


And here's his cousin the Red Squirrel.

Couldn't resist these Pussy Willows. A post to MWT @ http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/ and WBW @ http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/

61 comments:

  1. I love all the various duck photos you have this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got some handsome shots of the mallards. and cute chippy and squirrel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent series of birds today Gary. It seems as though the wetlands have come alive and the birds are enjoying the nice weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely share, yes, it looks like warmer weather has arrived. Those squirrel photos always tug my heart and the Mallards, well all of them very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fine series of birds and critters. Love the mallards and the chipmunks, they are such cute little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mallards and raven in flight!!
    The robins have been very busy around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just talked to our daughter in Oregon and she said her pussy willows are in bloom...thanks for your picture and the memories of "home". Spring looks beautiful in your Paradise. The mallards are beautiful as are all your pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful trek and photos; you did a nice job getting those mallards to sit still.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely shots, as always, Gary. I love that plumage of the mallard ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful set of pictures - you live in a remarkable part of the world!

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great seeing the birds in their breeding mode. Also fun to see the chipmunk and squirrel. Your wetlands are glorious. Fantastic shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful look of spring in your world today, Gary! Always love the bird, the mallard in particular today and, of course, the squirrels and chipmunks! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun visiting the wet lands with you! So many feathered friends and a few furry ones, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thinks it is heaven where you live, grand shots, especially the woodpecker, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful series, I enjoy your visit to the wetlands. And the birds are always a favorite of mine to see. Thanks for sharing, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The coloration on the mallards remind me so much for precious jewels. It's just so much like life's realities that they lose that color when they have to take care of the youngsters. Don't we all!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful pictures, I like the nice color of drake.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So like those Buffleheads...and the in flight captures! Nice work Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great wetland and beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful set of photos, Gary. It was as if I were observing the birds of the wetlands with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I see almost the same type of birds in the salt marsh near my home

    ReplyDelete
  22. All of these photos are beautiful. I esp like the ducks and birds...the woodpecker in the light. The reflection shots are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm continually amazed at your shots. They show a lot of skill and patience.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mainio Kevät-Sarja.
    Lintuja useita lajeja.
    Kesäinen näkyy olevan säätila...!
    Tervein Eko

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a rich collection of beautiful pictures! I really liked the reflections.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a kind comment!
    Greetings from Tel Aviv :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. beautiful series of photos. the birds are a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful set of photos . I would love to live somewhere with such diverse wildlife :-)

    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous place and wildlife ! I love the little squirrels and the seagulls !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Gary

    A nice post and you have some new bird additions. I also did not see a lot of snow. Could that mean it is finally Spring out your way?

    All the best.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had snow last night and this AM, but none remained. All part of the US storm that crossed the Gt. Lakes and dumped on us.

      Delete
  30. Hi Gary, the birds are really beautiful. There is a wetlands nearby but not as many of your birds.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice collection of bird photos! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  32. superbe serie de photos sur les oiseaux

    Publicity ;o) Every Friday (and the Weekend), The Challenge "Walk In The Street Photography"

    ReplyDelete
  33. I made me smile when I saw your Mallards Gary.. great minds think alike.
    Another lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your observation "She's a real beauty. All the birds now are resplendent in their breeding plumage, as the young arrive the plumage will fade. Just like the human situation I guess" made me chuckle Gary - Just lay low for a while now.
    Great series of photographs as usual, especially the neglected Sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan of sparrows, and we have lots of varieties.

      Delete
  35. Wonderful series of images, - a perfect post to WBW!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great to see so much colour in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  37. All great photos and your comments about the bright light and the problems of over-exposure were very interesting. btw I haven't seen 'pussy willows' for years!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Greetings still snowy Finland to you and your marvelous bird photos!
    And thank you for your comment, we wrote these in same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are getting the bright and sunny days Gary and here is grey and heavy rains. Those skies sure do something special to your photographs don't they just?! Lovely scenery, so pristine after the long cold winter. The Mallards are quite irridescent with the sunshine bouncing off their neck feathers. You did well with the stretch in your camera, and I can understand you wanting to get closer but sometimes we need to just let the birds retain their space and be happy with our lot. Love your little robin and song sparrow photos too; a top post Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful series of photos. And a treat to see the many different birds in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great selection of photographs depicting your locale.

    Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  42. came via Andrew's post. I just commented how handsome the male duck is.

    Did you and Andrew go "duck shooting" together? with your camera of course.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the reflections and the gull shots are my favorites today!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great bird shots. I just love this time of year. Can you send some of that sunshine over to the Sunshine Coast? - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wonderful series of photos and commentary, Gary! I really enjoy your hikes every week.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love the wonderfully bright colours of sky, water and birds.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Gary,Lovely series of birds!!!love the Robins...
    Have a great Wednesday!!!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  48. I have never seen a blue mallard before, so this is a treat! Beautiful photos as always, Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wonderful post Gary, looks like things are hopping in the Great North!
    Cheers Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Delightful: thank you, dear!
    BShell

    ReplyDelete
  51. A super post Gary! I loved all the birds, especially the Raven in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Long to hear the Song Sparrow's music. Amazing wing span shots and lovely reflection!
    Cheers from California!

    ReplyDelete
  53. What a nice group of birds. I am fond of Robins too!

    ReplyDelete