Thursday, April 12, 2012

More Wetlands of the Vermilon River. A Post to SWF.

Tuesday we had snow flurries, and Wednesday started with flurries until the sun broke through. The wetland we're visiting today is on the west side of the River, so I couldn't help but pay a visit to the rapids. By then the day was brightening, as you can see. CLICK ON THE PHOTOS TO ENLARGE AND WATCH THE SLIDE SHOW.

No visit to the rapids is complete without some white water, which fascinates me.

This is a  River wetland. The beaver pond in yesterdays' post is a tributary wetland,i.e. it drains into the River through another system.This one is right beside the River, although it too drains into the River.

Just a different perspective showing the trail at the left side which allows one to get to the ridge or that piece of raised ground in front of the ridge in the background.

Again another perspective giving you some impression of the size. All of the the Red-winged Blackbirds were photographed in this area. The mallards were actually photographed on the River, although the in flight shots were taken over this wetland. I'll use captions in the next photos where possible.

Robin.


Robin

Red-winged Blackbird

The Red-winged Blackbirds were all calling for mates I suppose. They were amongst the grackles, and the noise was pretty loud. The occasional duck also joined in.



Song Sparrow.

These guys are usually on the periphery of the forest or wetland and sing Boom & I on our way.

Song Sparrow.

The Mallards in flight, two males and a female, were over the wetland. The
closeups were actually in the River.

Male Mallard

Female Mallard

Canada Geese.


These are photos that I took earlier when the ice was still in the River. This guy is really upset. He's just landed and is running on the ice.

I think this is the same guy. You can see he's squawking all the way down.

Ring-billed Gull.

This Is Huegy our Northern Crow.

No post would be complete without some cutes personified in the Red Squirrel.. A Post to SWF @ http://skyley.blogspot.com/ , Camera Critters @ http://camera-critters.blogspot.com/ and Scenic Sunday @ http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/  Note: My post was somewhat interrupted this morning as there was a computer bank fraud going on. No problem for me especially, but I changed all my accounts and passwords. But, I sure would like to take those computer wussies out in the forest with Boom & I for a couple of hours. Its more the time it takes up than the effectiveness. Nevertheless I had to go to the city

In the city I got to shop a store called the Bulk Barn, and stock up. I've never mentioned that in addition to being an amateur photographer I'm an amateur cook and baker. I'm just in the process of learning the in's and out's of  fruit breads. But that's another story.

56 comments:

  1. amateur cook and baker! i'm impressed! :)

    love the 2nd shot of the rushing waters. and the pic of the goose couple in the blue, blue, blue water. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stressing amateur. Nevertheless people here in the senior's apartment praise my pies, cakes and breads. And Boomer certainly praises my poached salmon, and fruit accented method of cooking roasts, and BBQ meats. But what does he know?

      Delete
  2. Guess you are really anticipating the arrival the the spring migrants. Down here in South Florida, especially inland from the east coast, spring migration can almost be a non-event. The birds just pass us by because they get here from Cuba in only a couple of hours and just keep on flying. The prevailing east winds also blow them to the west coast or they simply keep flying over the Gulf until landfall in the first morning light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think here we feel they're returning to their real home. As it is here that they'll wear their bright breeding plumage and build their nests.

      Delete
  3. This is great shots!
    Happy SkyWatch to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully scenic place with such nice birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the rapids!! Gorgeous birds and, of course, I love the squirrel! Enjoy the kitchen! I bet Boomer is a happy camper now! Have a great weekend, Gary!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos always capture the indivual 'personalities' of each bird & critter from stunning to grouchy. Snow? Spring is slow. . .we had frost for several nights.
    Happy weekend (and baking)to you and Boomer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos for SWF!Thank you for sharing and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So enjoy seeing glimpses of your world! The red winged blackbird fascinates me! The red is dazzling against the black! And love the photo of the rushing white water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite the defenders of their territory. So their calls warn off invaders as well.

      Delete
  9. The sky is so beautiful with the blue and big puffy clouds. Your landscapes, water and wildlife shots are such a treat to see. Happy almost Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking us on a hiking tour! The birds are wonderful. I could actually see the song sparrow sing!
      Have a great weekend.

      Delete
    2. The forest is only quiet when a predator is in the area. The silence is very noticeable.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous captures, Gary!
    Such a variety... I love it.
    Greetings from Holland,
    Anna :-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! That area looks beautiful. I love all the bird shots,and the white water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bird pics are phenomenal as usual! I can't get enough of wetlands. Like to taste one of your fruit breads sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, fruit bread, yum.
    We've been away, but it's nice to come home. I love to see your photos up there in your wilderness, and my favourite this time has to be the annoyed goose running on the ice. LOL
    Always happy to see Huegy and, of course, the squirrels.
    More pictures of Boom sometime, please?

    Kay, Alberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fruit bread is great, and I'll post more of Boom.

      Delete
  14. I love these pictures, fabulous, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very impressive photos. Thanks for sharing!

    Mary,MI

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous shots of the wetlands, looks like a great habitat for the wildlife. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love...looove the upset goose slipping on the ice! The expression on his face is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great shots. I'm also fascinated by whitewater and flowing rivers, I really need to spend some time near them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great blue skies, and I love that squawking goose. Isn't it amazing how much dried fruit the bulk barn has! Have you put the kiwi in any of your breads?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful shots of the wetlands and those glorious birds!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a beautiful nature! I love all your pictures of beautiful birds. I have a bird-loving son who indeed has ma a bird-loving mother ;))
    Enjoy your weekend!
    Pia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well captured :) I really enjoyed the photos, especially the birds in flight shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A very interesting ecosystem with as much interesting inhabitants!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great collection of nature studies, they are so sweet to watch at play.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful and I especially enjoyed your Red-winged Blackbird photos~

    ReplyDelete
  26. Red-winged blackbirds (which I seldom see these days) are some of my favorites, particularly for what I consider to be their friendly-lonely calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially across a wetland which gives back an echo.

      Delete
  27. Greetings, Gary! Love the robins.... my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful series.
    I don't only love the great skies with the fluffy clouds, but the colorful birds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful countryside shots.

    ReplyDelete
  30. lovely countryside shots here.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Delightful images!

    Sunrise, please come and see when you get a chance. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. lovely photos of a great adventure. happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I always enjoy your birds! I wish we would get some rain in Toronto. My garden is stalling.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love that "white water" the scenery and birds. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous pictures every one -- that one of the goose coming in for the icy landing is so funny . I'm going back as soon as I post this and look at the slideshow.

    Bummer about the computer fraud issue, I hate that. We're having issues with our ISP -- email just will not work. So frustrating.

    You cook and bake? Some people are just tooo talented ;>)!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What on earth "spooked" the goose?! Great photos and I especially like the clouds. Love hearing bird calls. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful view of the river and wetlands. You are seeing many of the same species as I am. I had to take down a couple of my bird feeders due to tall the grackle sand red-wings that we inundating my yard. but peace has been restored. Only a dozen showed up today! Sorry about your bank troubles and I had to smile at your suggestion about you and Boomer taking them out into the woods! Perhaps you could set them adrift in that whitewater!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love this post, so carefully photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love your pictures. You have a fantastic landscape around you and so many wild animals, beavers, squirrels and a lot of birds. And the lovely dog. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  41. So many beautiful birds. Lovely Red-winged Blackbirds. Beautiful colors and contrast! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for the visit everyone. Hope you enjoyed the hike. Boom & Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Gorgeous shots, Gary! That's a huge variety of birds and wildlife!

    ReplyDelete