Thursday, October 6, 2011

Red Foxes and Red Robins of The Vermilon River. A Post to SWF.

East Track Looking South.
East Track looking East.


  I usually visit the east track area on the weekend providing the weather is OK. Weather wise we've had  overcast, rain, even a bit of snow, and now warm and dry. I usually visit fairly early in the morning on the assumption that this is when things happen.Last weekend I went in the afternoon for a bit of a hike to stretch my muscles. I leave my kit on the fringe of the trail, and hike from there. As you know I use a cane when hiking, which I have always felt places me at a disadvantage with the four legged creatures, because of the sound. When I checked my gear, I had forgotten my cane, which irritated me to no end, because it would make the hike more difficult. So starting off in a bad mood, I checked the wetlands to no avail, and then shot some scenery. The Robins brightened my day. They'll stay until the berries are gone or winter is here. Canines, including Boomer, depend on smell, sound and last of all vision. There was no wind, no cane sound , and I was still, so this guy who was looking for rabbits in the creek area was quite relaxed. He even had time for a scratch. Until I moved and then you can see danger in his eye. A Post to SWF @ http://skyley.blogspot.com/  You can enlarge any of the photos by clicking on them.

Looking East

The Start of the Trail.

Robin In Choke Cherry Bushes

Rear View Of Robin

Formal Portrait

Scratching Fox.

Staring Fox.

The Realization of My Presence.

36 comments:

  1. Two first and three last photos could be from our country :) And robins too are her but with a little different shape I think.
    That fox photos are cheerful to look at.
    Good skywatching :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as though you did finally have some lovely blue skies! The birds are lovely and delightful as always and I do love the fox! What great eyes! Terrific captures as always, Gary! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend!


    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful animals, foxes! Lovely post:)
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really amazing shots of the scratching fox and the robin--sorry about the cane--but your day looked perfect.
    Next time we roll over the border, we'll stop by the visit, so please leave the light on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. face to face with a fox. how close did you get to him?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I love the foxes so much, they're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful captures of your wonderful wildlife

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful set of shots from your walk. I like all the shots very much but that fox is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did the fox run after he discovered that you had discovered him?

    STARWATCH

    Sky above, earth below,
    Watch the stars begin to glow.

    Earth below, sky above—
    Watch the stars with me, my love!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Western Sunset

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wauw, really beautiful pictures!,

    greetings from the Netherlands,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pics, I really like the fox. There are fox on the river trails in Tulsa. In 19 years of running the trails I have encountered them 3 times and never had my camera. I keep hoping for another view.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fox is just eating the camera! Great images.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clear blues, and stunning foxy shots. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful skies Gary, and that fox - WOW.

    Just a thought, I use a walking stick when hiking. I have better control on rough terrain and slopes than with my cane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful scenic views and lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful landscape and a cute little fox !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there - I have a bit of a soft spot for foxes - used to watch them as a kid in the UK. Shame that they have done so much harm here.

    Splendid set of pictures.

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautifully captured views of your hike, thanks for sharing with SWF those quiet moments with nature

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent and very nice photographs.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful fox pictures Gary! He is very cute and beautiful! I love the American robin too and hope I will see it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great series, Gary, love the fox, haven't seen a robin in awhile, not sure if they have all left or not, I would love to see a fox in the wild though!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I guess it turned out well that had left your cane behind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great walk with you, Gary. I sometimes forget my cane and regret it, too. Then I realize I've forgotten it because I subconsciously felt I didn't need it, and consider that a good way to feel, even if I was wrong.
    I love the formal portrait of the robin, and the fox is a great bonus!

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful photos! i saw the other day a fox here in our yard, he came from the wooded lot next door and was limping. poor thing..

    My Camera Critter is Mr Meow

    ReplyDelete
  25. ooooooh! Awesome! Love foxes! in the wild ~ of course ~~thanks, namaste, Carol (A Creative Harbor) linked w/Camera Critters ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  26. The little fox looks like one of our rescue dogs. Love the photo and our own dog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - those fox photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely skies and a great shots of the robins. I love the fox sighting. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow - amazing! You got a fox Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful place! Great shots. The fox is beautiful!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my. Such a gorgeous place. Love the fox sighting!

    ReplyDelete