Saturday, November 20, 2010

1 Fisher (Cat) of the Vermilon River



This guy, certainly no beaver, turned up the day the ice skim was on the pond, and here is the story.

 The hike out was cold. Although it was cloudy, the sun was out intermittently, and as I sat on my favourite rock after shedding my gear ,except for the camera ever ready to get a few beaver shots, I started to doze a bit. Still alert enough I guess, I noticed a tail going into the log pile in the front of the pond. Not a beaver tail I might add. I stood up and was a little disappointed as he was going the wrong way for a photo. Annoyed I picked up a rock from the old rail bed and lobbed it up in the air and it struck the skim breaking through with a loud splash. Out popped Mr. Tough Guy prepared for lunch or at least to defend his territory.

I think he is a Fisher or Fisher Cat as Americans call him. He is a member of the Mustelid family (weasel) a cousin of the marten and the wolverine. The marten a little smaller has an orange chest patch. The Fisher is normally dark brown or black and may be frosted at the fur tips. He forages for mice, voles, rabbits and has achieved a rather nasty reputation as a predator.

(For non-North Americans, the wolverine about the size of  a mid-sized dog is avoided by all predators- think vicious.)

  Probably because the Fisher is the only mammal with a strategy to attack porcupines successfully, he is also considered a proficient predator. He is being re-introduced in some New England states as a natural solution to a porcupine problem. He was trapped extensively at one time and marketed along with his cousin, the Marten, as sable. That's why the clue was the preferred fur of Hollywood glamour queens.

Congrats Hilke for guessing the ID of the animal. More photos follow in another entry posted tonight at my time 7pm.

14 comments:

  1. Great photos. The expression the first one is priceless; doesn't look ferocious at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left the photos larger than I usually do for you to click on. Just look at those claws which are apparrently semi-retractable. He is an excellent climber also. If you go on the web you can get recordings of his screams. Don't let the dog or cat out alone tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Brillent capture and a great story. I understand Fishers are quite rare! You are off to a great start but where are those pesky beaver?
    I was checking out some of what I thought were Beaver lodges but they turned out to be Muskrats. Question: Will Muskrats take down trees like Beavers do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re Muskrats: I have the impression no they do not gird and take down trees. They are more feeders on wetland roots and build out of cat tails and mud.They can eat underwater because of their teeth arrangement Also they build not only lodges, but will burrow in banks depending on the trerrain. See Who's Who in the Hinterland. This site is an Canadian government site written in a more scientific vein.Its useful when you know what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool..I have never seen fishercats! nice encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dawn. I'll post more photos to-night. He was difficult to ID because he is like the marten which we have also. I hope all the vechicle problems are over and you're well on your way. Boom and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great serie of images. Have you evaluated the possibility of this animalbeing a Mink. The mink is much smaller but is known to live around water and has a withe spot on the chin that i don't think fisher have? Anyhow a mink would not be responsible for the cutted tree's ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Dominic: Yes I looked at the mink when I rejected the marten. I rejected the mink because this guy's coat is not glossy, his feet are big( I'm sensitive to paw size because of Boom), and those claws look like climbing claws, his size, and the screams in the woods. I think I saw a mink when I first went up to the lower Long Lake area. We scared each other and I never got the shot, he was definitely smaller. Am I positive of course not. Drop by again.Thanks Boom and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Julian. Drop by again.Boom and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I was just checking out Fisher pics and came across this, wanted to throw my weight behind the mink idea, this is not a fisher, the head shape is definitely mink, as is the chin patch, fishers have a more distinctive, longer muzzle, their legs are proportionally longer and they are MUCH larger...in the order of 4 or 5 times, you could well have seen a smaller mink before, there is a fair amount of size range within mustelid species, particularly between male and female.

    I work with Fisher's so I'm pretty familiar with them...just thought I'd throw that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Guaca: You could be absolutely right. The only problem I have is when I checked out your profile, there is no information about you, and none which supports your expertise. So I'll just leave things until you supply some accredtion for your asserations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes sorry, I don't use Blogger, I'd just signed up to try and help out with the ID as I have an interest in the subject! I work as a field technician on a Fisher reintroduction program, I've worked as a field tech for 3 years and I majored in Ecology.

    Sorry, I'm just not big on throwing my life history onto the net! If, as you should, you'd like a second opinion I'd recommend checking out a Peterson field guide to mammals if you get the chance, they're always a good place to start on an ID.

    Keep enjoying the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Guaca. Thanks for the visit and I'll check out Peterson's field guide.

    ReplyDelete