Sunday, November 21, 2010

2 Fisher (Cat) at the Beaver Pond of The Vermilon River

Note the claws which are partially retractable


More photos of this guy turned out well so he's back for an encore, and another little story. To ID this fellow I spent sometime on the web, and found out that these guys screech in the bush, and the sound will raise the hair on the back of your head.This summer when I was taking a rest on the cement abutment on the trail north of the east track, two rabbits bolted accompanied by the most awful scream and I think it might have been this fellow. I think I interrupted his hunt.
 In the same area, earlier that same week, a young fellow with his dog, who had been blueberry picking (both of them not just the dog), came tearing out of the bush, claiming something snarled and screamed at both of them. He thought it was a cougar. They've re-established themselves in this area. I think it was this guy or another one. You can find recordings of the screaming sound on the web.

10 comments:

  1. Gary, These are such great photos! To see the Fisher standing on that thin crust of ice is just amazing. Thanks for posting them.
    By the way, I'm starting a bird photography meme called World Bird Wednesday and would love your contribution(and everyone elses.) Stop by my blog and click on the WBW logo if you think you might be interested.
    Cheers, Springman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clicked on the logo and I'll post if I can get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm hoping it will work. It's all a big experiment. Anyway, it won't be up and running until Tuesday noon. You can always link it to one of your older posts. In the mean time, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gary,
    What a sight mate... Wonderful pictures! You have a nice blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chris...Yours is no slouch either. Visit us again. Boom and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smashing fisher shots. i've photo'd them before, but your shots are better

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that's quite a compliment coming from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fishers are nearly extinct here in California. How excellent to be able to see them, much less photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was pretty excited myself to see this guy. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures, but that's a mink, not a fisher-cat.

    ReplyDelete