Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Gray Cat Bird (immature) of The Vermilon River




I got these photos in the late summer as you can see and was completely at odds as to what it was. I sent it off to Science North, a local science centre, but never heard back from them. So much for my tax dollar. Then I posted it to N. W. Birds,which is a bird site in the the Lake Superior area that I belong to. This is a knowledgeable group of birders who identified it as a juvenile Gray Cat Bird.
The Gray Cat bird is a mimic thrush with a song that has a mewling sound to it, and may incorporate the songs of other birds. They're not especially rare but are usually found in shrubs bordering farm lands, which is just the opposite of here. So I count myself lucky to have seen him and got the photo.

8 comments:

  1. Gary,
    I would guess that this part of the Catbirds life cycle is quite short which makes your capture even more significant for its rarity. Give Boomer a little scratch behind the ear for me and thanks again for your help in getting WBW started! ;-)WBW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is just another being in the right place at the right time series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have been a puzzle for sure so glad you did get an ID on it. The photos are super!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Dixxe: Thanks Boom and I did a tour of your site. He thinks your dogs are great, and readily accepted them into his pack of friends. We enjoyed the tour, but I have to say its too bad that old house is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Catbirds here during the nesting season but have only sighted adults. Great captures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jean. Boom & I visited your site also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shots of a bird I have never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Julian for the visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete