Thursday, February 2, 2012

Grey Skies and Vivid Colours at the Vermilon River. A Post to SWF.

The morning sky promised little, and that proved true as the day turned stormy, perhaps not a blizzard, but close. Click a photo to enlarge and for the slideshow.

This photo shows the blowing snow. It was a spring storm as the snow was wet and heavy. But that's a good day for photographing the winter birds, who are hungry. You can see the snow in most photos. If there's a blue sky then the photo is from another day. I've not put the photos in any order, and I'm using captions to give you the species. The mass photos are to give you some idea of the fun of photographing in a large flock. A post to SWF @ http://skyley.blogspot.com/ Camera Critteras @ http://camera-critters.blogspot.com/ and Scenic Sunday @ http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/ 

Female Redpoll.

A Male and Two Female Evening Grosbeaks.

Male Redpoll.

Feeding Frenzy.

Male Redpoll.

Blue Jay.

Blue Jay.

Female Pine Grosbeak Landing

Mourning Dove Fluffed Up

Blue Jay

Blue Jay and Mourning Doves.

Female and Male Pine Grosbeck

Male Pine Grosbeak

Male (Red Breast) and Female Redpoll.

Another feeding Frenzy

Mourning Dove With the Snow Falling

Close Up Mourning Dove.


Male and Two Female Grosbeaks.

30 comments:

  1. Braving the elements to get us these shots, i applaude you. That Pine grosbeak with it's wing spread it really nice. Colours are nice and vivid aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your bird shots. Do you have to go far to get them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful bird photos! great photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many excellent shots here! My favorites are the feeding frenzy shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely winter scenes, I do have to say I am glad the snow is not here. I love all the birds, great sightings and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots! Love them in the snow, they stand out even better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful winter scenes and gorgeous birds as always, Gary! Love them, but have to admit I'm glad the snow has left here and I'm enjoying our sunshine!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the birds had a good time! I like the feeding frenzies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got some great shots of the birds. I also like the sky shots.

    I was just thinking about how there are some birds that I almost never get photographs of except when we have snow and I am feeding them frequently. No snow this winter here so I haven't gotten birds at a feeding frenzy like I did last winter, and the winters before too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your birds are so pretty....we are very warm here in Texas..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, the birds are so cute~
    We are hot in Malaysia.
    hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here I am thinking this is going to be another lovely sky post... and you throw in a whole lot of gorgeous little birds!! I am incredibly jealous (not in a bad way). I would love to see birds like this in such large numbers. You are truly blessed. I love visiting your blog to see these little birds so often. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are amazing!

    Happy SWF. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely shots! I do love finding colour in the middle of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures, beautiful birds in the snow, I really like. Have a wonderful weekend, greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always manage to capture them so well!
    I love that first fem. Redpoll photo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos!
    All the birds are beautiful, but my favorite is the Blue Jay.
    Have a great weekend :O)
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spectacular images of spectacular birds. The snow just seems to makes them even more special~ Best~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photographs.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a brilliant serie's Gary. Winter came in also in Holland.
    I feet them well. Now I have seen the size of the blue jay. We only have the usual jay. Last sunday I saw the jay declaring war to a hawk he is not afraid at all.
    Have a nice weekend
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful photo's and your birds look great in the snow. Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos! You must be brave, because it sure looks really cold!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning photos, as always. Enjoy seeing the grosbeaks even if they are only pictures. . .and the doves in the snow. Your sky looks very similar to us too. (happy week)

    ReplyDelete
  24. How cute all these little blown up birds, it must be very cold !

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Pine Grosbeak with the spread wing needs to be entered in a film contest. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great selection of birds. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete