Monday, May 9, 2011

A Hike to the Long Lake Wetland of The Vermilon River. A Post to my World Tuesday.

North Rock Face of Wetlands.


Shows the Meadering Channel flowing North



These wetlands are a northern continuation of the East Track Wetlands. In other words the whole area is connected by lakes, creeks, and small rivers which form the wetlands. The wetlands are then increased in size by the beavers, muskrats and otters who dam the waterways. Some of these dams are removed by the RR to safeguard their tracks, but really the beaver are both better engineers and better workers,as they just replace them. The main body of water is the Vermilon River, which all this water feeds into.

 In the first photo I'm facing north but looking to my left to show the rock face, which is of course the reverse side of all those panoramas I normally shoot to show you where we're going and give you a feeling of the height of the hills. Effectively we're in the interior of the hills.The second photo shows the meandering channel running north to join the lake above here ,which is Mystic Lake. The photo below again shows the meandering channel

Again Shows The Channel To The North.


From The South End Of the Wetlands



The photo shot from the south end shows the extent of this particular wetland, and the side view should give you a feel for the elevation of the cliffs to the east. So we're in a bowl here.

Entrance of the Wetland


Entrance to the Wetlands.



The bog shots are the entrance to this wetland. Boomer has a fit when we go here, because we actually cross the bog over branches and small logs laid across a narrows. The mud, which is gloppy, sticks to his coat, and Boomer is a winter/ice dog, not a water dog. But the sun is really warm now and this will mean the end of his hiking season until fall and winter.

Pussy Willows


Close up


Robin


Robin


Robin




The robins and the pussy willows were in the clearing on the fringe of the wetland area. It's interesting that what little sun we have had has actually caused the pussy willows to go to seed. Just as we were entering the trail to the wetland these Mallards flew over. So it's shaping up to be an interesting day.

Male and Female Mallards.

Song Sparrow


Song Sparrow


White-throated Sparrow


White-throated Sparrow.


Nashville Warbler.



As I said the sparrows and the mallards were expected, but the warbler was a surprise as I thought he was a goldfinch. But when I checked him out he's a Nashville Warbler, probably attracted to the thriving record industry in the bush. You can tell he's a Nashville Warbler, because he sings country and western. Sorry couldn't resist.

The photos are not great, but the key id markings are the white eye circle and the white area that breaks the yellow on his underside. He's apparently normal for the area but the first that I've seen.


Nashville Warbler.


Northern Flicker

Northern Flicker Showing Red


Again Showing Red Patch


I spotted the Northern Flicker in the tree and then proceeded to chase her all over for some reasonable shots. She's a female because she lacks the black mustache near her beak. These are ground woodpeckers feeding on ants. Since the soil is sandy, they have plenty to feed on.
Close Up


Turkey Vulture


Turkey Vulture



When I had entered the wetland something took off. I didn't see what it was, sort of expecting it to be a Great Blue Heron which hunt here from time to time. But as I was looking around, four large birds took of from the far side of the Wetland, and continued to circle the whole area. At first I thought they were hawks, but they're Turkey Vultures. The first that I've seen. Click on Photo 1 and you can see his red head. All in all a pretty eventful day!!!

A quick note to texwisgirl: I tried to avoid small photos this time. Boom & Gary.


A Post to My World Tuesday @ http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/

Turkey Vulture



Turkey Vulture


39 comments:

  1. Wonderful variety of birds, Gary. What a paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (thank you!!!)

    these are all beautiful shots. poor boom getting his feet wet and muddy... we live with turkey vultures here, but i still never get tired of seeing them. such fascinating creatures!

    love the flicker front shot and the pussy willow shot with the greenery! gorgeousness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful landscapes and birds! I wish I have the means of going on a hike like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The landscapes are brilliant, and to follow, there is a number of beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous place, beautiful birds and superb captures as always, Gary! The pussy willow is exquisite! I know Boomer must enjoy your hikes there. Hope you have a great day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shots! The daughter who's watching with me adore the birds! :)

    I have My Mothering World to share, I hope to see you at my page! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely walk, as always. I appreciate the hint as to how to sex the flicker. We have a lot of them around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this place is so peaceful. you must be reeneargized each time you trek here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. Yes … it is wise to exclude a pet from hiking during the hot season. Even in the cooler weather driving to areas and then leaving pets in cars can be surprisingly hot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful world you live in, Gary! I'm sure you'll miss Boom on your hikes, but perhaps your other traveling companion, the crow, will accompany you.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gary

    Wonderful shots of the turkey vulture one of my favorite birds to see in the air.


    All the best.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many varieties of Birds! It must be soothing just to see their celebration of life and their joyous expression. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a marvellous place the wetlands are!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for taking me along, I love long rambles with a dog and a friend.
    Great pussy willow shots and an amazing collection of colourful birds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed that tour Gary, and some lovely birds along the way. The Turkey Vulture looks huge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pictures of the Flickers are splendid - no woodpeckers of any type in Australia - so I always like to see them from elsewhere.

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugly devils tho' aren't they Texwisgirl?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to 'cause the climb throught the bog is hard, PC.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I checked my pulse to make certain he wasn't after me, Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. He is quite the size Keith. About 25-32 inches in lenght with a wingspan of 67-72 inches and a weight of 2-5 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the red mark of the flicker resembles a heart, doesn´t it? I like that kind of country with a lot of waters in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes it does now that I relook at it and yes you could put your kayak in here and paddle to mystic Lake NF.

    ReplyDelete