Friday, May 6, 2011

More Scenes and Wildlife of the Vermilon River. A Post to Camera Critters and Scenic Sunday

Upper River


North Wetland -East Track



Some different scenes of various hikes that we've taken so far. I put the shot of the east track into show you directly why hiking rail tracks is useful for the elevation. The elevation allows one to observe without being observed, and even in some cases is safer. It means you're not going to walk in on a four legged type unaware and startle both of you.

North Wetland


East Track


Our Crow




We're not going to get far without the crow taking a look. He and Boom have arrived at an accommodation, only one crow on the property at a time. The Chickadee was actually at my feeder; nice to see they're returning. The Dark-eyed Juncos are still hanging around in the forest immediately at the back of me. Remember I'm surrounded by forest. It's just a choice of ways to go.


Chickadee at the feeder.


Dark-eyed Junco


Killdeer




The Killdeers are on the River and in the wetlands. I'm not sure why I'm seeing so many of them. I expect it's just that this year I started off with the 150-500mm lens. They're hard to shoot as they're flighty. As I said earlier they're members of the plover family.
River Killdeer

Killdeer


Pine Squirrel


Geeze, I lost my contact lens.


Tree Fungus








The pine squirrels are harder to get now as there are more predators around. The tree fungus intrigues me for two reasons; the various grays and white in the photo, and the fact that nature never wastes anything.



A Post to Camera Critters @ http://camera-critters.blogspot.com/ and Scenic Sunday @ http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/

35 comments:

  1. loved the goose with the contact lens issue! ha!

    and the squirrel is adorable! you need to post those lovely landscapes a bit larger size tho so we don't have to enlarge (i know, i'm getting lazy in my old age...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots, Gary, and I'm jealous of your 150 to 500 mm lens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what wonderful critters and I do like that blue blue water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, lost my contact lens. I'm glad Boom and "your" crow have reached an agreement. A guard crow can be an excellent early warning system.
    Always enjoy your photos, Gary. Thanks!
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have squirrel in my post, but yours is cuter!

    My Camera Critters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great serie of photos! The Kildeer looks like a very sweet bird! The black and white design of its throat is very interesting!

    Have a delightful Sunday, ciao! :)

    http://dogadansevgiyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful scenic place with such lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is always something quite magical about the wetlands environment. It's fast becoming a huge favourite haunt of mine as well. Your landscape is really beautiful - you can feel the peace as soon as you gaze at the water.

    I love the little squirrel with its white eyeliner. Very sweet and you did well to capture it as I know how lightning fast those little guys are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great scenery Gary and the Kildeer is a lovely bird to see, similar to our Ringed-Plovers.
    The Pine Squirrel is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You live in a wonderful part of the world Gary. No wonder you and Boomer have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, have I missed a lot, in my self-imposed exile. I have just spent some time catching up on your blog, but, I have a lot more to read before I am through.

    I'm just loving all of the warbler pictures. I never see them in my back yard, and only occasionally on my walks, which I haven't been taking anyways because I have been too busy cleaning up my gardens. These old bones don't handle doing both in one day.

    Anyway, I've missed your blog, and I'm glad to see that you're still flourishing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gary

    I really enjoyed the junco I saw a bunch this year at the farm but I have not managed a good photo.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  13. The snow is retreating from your world. A friend sent pictures of our cabin in the woods and there is 4-5 feet of snow in front of the door. I think it will be another month before we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the paint job on the killdeer :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful series, Gary. It is good to live in a beautiful scenic area with an abundance of wildlife and a 150-500 to bring it up close.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew you'd like that texwisgirl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just close your eyes and mortgage the house and there it is EGW

    ReplyDelete
  18. He actually does keep any gulls away Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The wetland is really alive Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the visit Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great to see you back Louise!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Their colour sceme makes it difficult Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The snow is gone here Martha, but the morning frost is not.

    ReplyDelete