Friday, October 1, 2010

Yellow-Rumped Warbler, Chestnut-Sided Warbler & Hairy Woodpecker of the Vermilon River.

Yellow-Rumped Warbler
 
Rear view of Warbler


Despite the awkward name this illusive bird is a handsome fellow. I got these 2 photos along the east banks of the river. I say illusive because he then took off leaving me with a motion blur for a third photo. Early in the summer I had attempted to get some other photos of him on a trail south of the east track, and failed because the 70-300mm lens was not up to it, and he wasn't coming any closer. To see my equipment list, click on the equipment list in the archives sidebar. These trails will become more familiar to you over time, and even more so when I post some scenery shots to give you some perspective of the area. 




Chestnut-Sided Warbler

The Chestnut-Sided Warbler is apparently a bird that has adapted well to Ontario from neo-tropical areas so says the ROM Bird Guide. I haven't seen many of them and I'm extremely pleased to have this one picture. I don't log where the photos are taken, but I saw this fellow on the trail south of the east track, and continue to look for him.







Hairy Woodpecker

Side View

Hairy Woodpecker
The woodpecker photos were taken a bit north of the east track, an abandoned rail line, which is great for hiking because it runs between wetlands, and gives you some safety with a view of what lies ahead. After all you don't want to walk into a black bear feeding on blueberries.
These woodpeckers are common to the area,and differ from their cousins, the Downey, by a smaller red patch, and a large black beak about the same size as their head.



No comments:

Post a Comment